I'm Fundraising for Variety Bikes for Kids!
I've signed up to share kindness and raise money to give a disadvantaged child their very first bike through the Variety Bikes for Kids program!
I'd love you to help out if you can!
You can donate direct to Variety right here on this page.
Now in it’s 18th year the Variety Bikes for Kids program was the brainchild of Variety past Chair, Life Member and Ambassador Derryn Hinch.
Reflecting on how much his very first bike meant to him, under difficult financial circumstances for his family, Derryn campaigned to make sure all kids can enjoy the freedom of a bicycle.
In 2002 Derryn started a radiothon on 3AW that ran for 10 years, raising over $2.5M and donating over 12,000 bikes to kids in need. The program was re-launched in 2017 and has donated over 1,000 more bikes to deserving children.
A bike can be seen as a given for many families, but many kids miss out due to financial circumstances. 1 in 6 Australian kids live below the poverty line. Now, more than ever, families are under increased strain to cover essential items, meaning more Australian kids will miss out on the freedom, joy, independence and inclusion of owning a bike.
Cycling in childhood has lifelong benefits:
- Cycling is physically challenging, builds fitness and endurance and gets kids out and about enjoying the outdoors.
- Improves children's cardiorespiratory fitness.
- Cycling to school is associated with lower odds of being overweight or obese for adolescents.
- Participation in physical activity is positively related to academic performance in children.
- Adolescents who bike or walk to school watch less TV and are less likely to smoke than their peers who are driven to school. They also get more overall physical activity.
With kids lives in lockdown impacting exercise and learning already challenged with the home schooling crisis, kids need physical activity more than ever. You can help out!
Make a donation AND make a difference today!
All donations over $2 are tax deductible and you'll receive an instant tax receipt from Variety - the Children's Charity.
Thank you so much for your kindness!